Undergraduate Paper Competition
The Department of Sociology will announce its call for the annual competition for "Best Undergraduate Paper in Sociology", in the spring quarter.
The paper may be on any topic but the paper must:
- be written by a currently declared Sociology major
- be written for an undergraduate course taken in the Department of Sociology at UCSB
- be a minimum of six double-spaced pages (not including title page and/or references).
- not be a thesis or a paper from a thesis produced through participation in the Sociology Honors Program.
- not be co-authored with a faculty member
Students should revise and polish their work before they submit it for consideration. Papers will be judged on creative engagement with sociological theory as well as overall writing quality. Papers must be delivered electronically by attachment to the Sociology Director of Undergraduate Studies, Professor Alicia Cast (email@example.com); hard copies are only acceptable by prior arrangement.
The deadline for receipt of submissions will be noted in the call sent in spring quarter. A prize of $250 will be awarded to the author of the paper chosen by a panel of faculty who are current members of the Undergraduate Program Committee.